Doncaster Knights  22 Yorkshire Carnegie 30

Doncaster Knights 22 Yorkshire Carnegie 30


Yorkshire Carnegie fought back to secure a morale boosting 30-22 bonus point win at Castle Park thanks to scores from Dan Temm, JB Bruzulier, Harry Davey and Chris Elder.

Yorkshire Carnegie were looking to get their Greene King IPA Championship campaign back up and running as they made the shortest trip of the season for a Festive derby clash with Doncaster Knights.

Chris Stirling included four of his nine new signings in the starting line up and the visitors had the better of the early possession but were unable to create an opening in the Knights defence.

Both teams were guilty of unforced errors, especially in good conditions for rugby, and the scrum in particular was a real mess with referee Michael Hudson having to get involved at every instance.

From a penalty at the scrum, Doncaster took the lead when they kicked to the corner and rumbled over through number eight Rory Pitman. The try was converted by fly half Kurt Morath after 19 minutes.

Yorkshire responded in fine fashion with two quick fire tries. The first was created by captain Pete Lucock, who cut through the home defence thirty metres out before offloading one handed to Dan Temm, who raced over for his seventh try of the season. Chris Elder missed the conversion attempt but it was not long before his side did take the lead.

Two minutes later, from a line out, JB Bruzulier took possession before racing through the line out into clear space and romping over from twenty metres out without a defender getting near to him. Elder added the conversion to give his side a 12-7 lead after 26 minutes.

Doncaster levelled the game five minutes later when they spread the ball wide. Paul Jarvis was brought down short of the line but they recycled possession well and Oliver Stedman went over against his former side to level the score. The conversion attempt was missed.

With just two minutes to go until half time, Elder put his side back in front with a penalty after he and then Josh Bainbridge had gone close on the advantage play and it remained 15-12 until half time.

The home side dominated the early exchanges of the second half and they made the most of their possession when they gained a penalty in the Yorkshire half. They ignored the chance to kick at goal to level the score and they were rewarded when replacement Henry Seniloli popped up on the short side to collect a pass from a driven maul and went over for the try with his first touch. Morath added the conversion from wide out to give his side a 19-15 lead after 52 minutes.

Doncaster extended their lead with a penalty from Morath and they were good value for that such was their control of the match at that point.

Yorkshire needed to find a response and they managed to get over for a third try from nothing when Temm reacted quickest to a spilled ball by the Knights and hacked ahead down field, Harry Davey flew down the touchline before kicking ahead and collecting himself to score. Elder was unable to add the conversion so it remain 22-20 with 14 minutes to play but the result was back in the balance.

With ten minutes to go, Elder scored a much deserved try after twice keeping his side moving forward, he spotted a mismatch in the back line before racing through the gap and evading two wouldbe tacklers to score. He converted his own try and then added a penalty two minutes later to give his side a two score lead at 22-30.

The game finished in farcical circumstances with a five minute delay whilst the Television Match Official took an age to watch countless replays that eventually resulted in Tom Hill be sinbinned for Yorkshire and Josh Tyrell shown yellow for the home side.

Carnegie managed to see out the game after that and secured a bonus point win in the process.