Match Report:  Yorkshire Carnegie  17 Nottingham Rugby 36

Match Report: Yorkshire Carnegie 17 Nottingham Rugby 36


By Will Hopper

An injury depleted Yorkshire Carnegie fell to back-to-back defeats this afternoon as they were beaten by Nottingham 17-36.

Coming into today’s match, both sides languished towards the bottom of the Greene King IPA Championship table having only won one game each. Last weekend Yorkshire Carnegie lost out to promotion chasing Ealing while Nottingham secured their first victory of the season against London Scottish.

Yorkshire Carnegie’s Director of Rugby, Chris Stirling, was eager for a response from his players today. As well as a total of twelve injuries, the home side also had to deal with some adverse weather conditions as the rain began to come down just before kick-off.  

It was Carnegie who got the first points on the board though. After the home side began to build pressure in the opening ten minutes, they were able to claim their reward when Brendan Cope converted a penalty from in front of the posts.

Nottingham responded well and even scored the first try of the game. Chris Elder attempted a clearing kick but it was charged down and blocked by the visitors. The ball ricocheted into the in-goal area and Seb Cecil was on hand to clamber on top of the loose ball. Shane O’Leary added the extras for Nottingham and they took a 7-3 lead.

Despite trailing, Carnegie continued to play some exciting and entertaining rugby but they couldn’t quite pick the lock of the Nottingham defence.

Nottingham scored again when Luke Peters crossed over the line. A penalty against Mike Myerscough resulted in him receiving a yellow card and the visitors made their man advantage count. They penned Carnegie deep in their own half and Peters had too much power for the Carnegie defence. O’Leary once again converted the try to make the score 14-3.

There was some 14 on 14 rugby towards then end of the half after Danny Qualter was sent to the sin bin. The yellow card seemed to spur Carnegie into life and soon after, they scored their first try of the game. Dylan Donnellan was able to get the ball down after a maul from five metres out. Cope converted the try to reduce the deficit to just four points before halftime.

The first half finished with Carnegie trailing 10-14 but it didn’t take long for Yorkshire to regain the lead. After Carnegie stole the ball in the scrum, they worked the ball out to the right wing where they had the man advantage. George Watkins collected the ball at full speed and raced over the try line. Brendan Cope continued to be perfect from the kicking tee as he converted the try to give Yorkshire a 17-14 lead.

Their lead didn’t last long though as just a minute later, Nottingham went back in front thanks to a David Williams try. From 40 metres out, he was able to race away from the chasing Yorkshire defenders and just managed to touch the ball down in the corner. The try was unconverted so Nottingham took a slender 2-point advantage.

The visitors then pushed their lead to 5 points when O’Leary kicked the ball through the sticks from a penalty. They then firmly took control of the game when O’Leary scored and converted his own try. The ball slipped through the hands of Cope and O’Leary scooped the ball up and ran 50 metres to touch the ball down in between the posts.

Nottingham scored again in the final minutes through Rory Burke and O’Leary’s conversion was successful, so they travelled back to the East Midlands with a 36-17 victory. That’s now back-to-back wins for the visitors while Carnegie have now fallen to consecutive defeats.

Yorkshire Carnegie will travel to Jersey on Friday 28th September and look to get back to winning ways.