Richmond  16 Yorkshire Carnegie 22

Richmond 16 Yorkshire Carnegie 22


Yorkshire Carnegie mounted a second half comeback as they made it three in a row in the league at Richmond.

Yorkshire made hard work of it in the first half, conceding five penalties within the first 15 minutes.

Richmond’s fullback Rob Kirby was lethal with the boot and converted two of the penalties meaning Yorkshire had to chase the game from early on.

In a half that saw the visitors scarcely see the ball, Yorkshire did not show the clinical play that earned victory against Cornish Pirates six days earlier.

Overthrown balls at the lineout and poor discipline meant that Richmond were allowed to hold on to the ball and dictate the game at their own pace, using their big runners in the pack.

Yorkshire had flashes going forward but couldn’t make the decisive play in the build up. Chris Elder and George Watkins were good with the ball in hand but resolute defence meant that Yorkshire’s chances to break came few and far between.

With two minutes to go before the break, Dan Temm was sin binned, one of Yorkshire’s more potent defenders was off the field, and the visitors were down to 14.

Richmond ended the half with the first try of the match, as scrum half Luc Jones reached over from short range following a long period of build up from the hosts. Kirby converted from the touchline and Richmond went in at the half time with a three-score lead.

Yorkshire came out of the changing rooms at half time in a bullish mood. They were making stronger hits, more powerful runs and, more importantly, they had reduced the penalty count significantly.

Early on, Yorkshire won themselves a penalty and Jacob Umaga impressively converted from 40m out for three points.

Ten minutes into the half, Yorkshire were over for their first try. Dan Temm dotted down, scoring with his first touch since coming back from the sin bin as the line out was driven over from close range.

Five minutes later, the visitors were in again. This time, Chris Elder found himself on the end of a looping pass and he offloaded inside as he was tackled into touch. The ball bobbled and was scooped up by Jacob Umaga, the fullback scoring under the posts. He converted his own try and took the score to 16-15.

With ten minutes left, Yorkshire were knocking on the door again and a penalty kicked to corner meant one thing. The lineout was caught and Yorkshire went for the drive. As the maul collapsed Dylan Donnellan dug the ball out and scored in the corner. Umaga converted from the touchline to extend the lead to six with not long left.

Richmond were coming forward in the last phase of the match, but a penalty to Yorkshire allowed the visitors to clear off the park and seal a great comeback win on the road.

By Tom Clayton