Yorkshire Carnegie 24 Richmond 7

Yorkshire Carnegie 24 Richmond 7


By Tom Clayton

Yorkshire get the bonus point with impressive second half display in their first home match of the season.

The first half was a tight affair with both sides exchanging periods of dominance.

Carnegie were the side to make the pressure tell early on, as Dan Temm stretched out an arm over the line 6 minutes in. Brendan Cope converted from under the posts. After that point, the hosts struggled to get close to the Richmond line.

The weather was becoming a factor as both sides as Brendan Cope and Rory Damant exchanged high balls through the last 20 minutes, testing either sides’ back threes.

Richmond had a chance to get on the scoreboard late on in the first half, but the hosts managed to steal the ball at the breakdown and clear their lines.

The first half ended as it had been played, through knock-ons and handling errors as the rain had fallen through most of the first half making conditions very slippery out wide.

HT – Yorkshire Carnegie 7 – 0 Richmond

The sun came out, albeit briefly, for the second half and Yorkshire came out wanting to hit the ground running.

The second half started very similarly to how the first half did, with Carnegie pressing high up the pitch and trying to force a score early on.

The hosts were awarded with their second try as a sublime cross-field kick from Brendan Cope found Chris Elder who cantered in under the posts. Cope converted the kick to extend Yorkshire’s lead to 14.

The visitors quickly came back and put pressure on Carnegie’s line. A lineout from inside the Yorkshire 22 gave Richmond a chance to catch and drive. As the visitors closed in on the line, scrum half Luc Jones peeled off the back and sneaked over for the try. The kick was converted and Richmond were back in it at 14-7.

It didn’t take long for Yorkshire to get back in control, as a good phase of play through the backs saw Pete Lucock tackled high, and the guilty party Ronnie McLean was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes.

From the resulting penalty, Yorkshire put the ball into the corner and pressed for the try. Dan Moor was muscled out into touch, giving Richmond the defensive lineout on their own 5-meter line.

Yorkshire stole the lineout at the front and once again put the pressure on Richmond’s line. The ball found its way out to Dan Moor once again as Yorkshire had their third of the day, all but putting the match to bed. The conversion from the touchline was missed.

The game was in Yorkshire’s control and Richmond were forced to defend for the rest of the match. A late foray forward was thwarted by the strong Yorkshire defence and cleared from a penalty on the Yorkshire line.

In the final play of the game, Yorkshire rushed forward for the bonus point and were awarded for their strong second-half efforts.  A break down the right saw Dan Temm feed the ball inside to George Watkins, who in turn offloaded to substitute Sam Wolstenholme who dotted down in the corner to seal the bonus point and the win for Yorkshire Carnegie

FT – Yorkshrie Carnegie 24 – 7 Richmond